http://www.makepovertyhistory.org A Case of Logorrhea: 27 going on 28

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

27 going on 28

I've decided that instead of turning 28 like all of my friends born in the year 1979 do, i'll be a spoiled brat and celebrate my 27th birthday, again, much to the protests of the angry mob that i used to call my friends. I'm sorry but i'm just not ready for the big TWO EIGHT yet, not mentally, not emotionally and above all, not physically. Identity crisis. I've been having it for as long as i've been conscious of my wretched existence. Year after year i make the same wish in futility before blowing out the candles on my too good to eat cake wondering when i'll see the light at the end of the tunnel. I know there are sadder things in life than not fitting into my size 27 Levi's or the wrinkles on my face that i've shamelessly mistaken for crease lines left by my cheap cotton pillow case or crying my eyes out listening to Feist's The Park or watching The Holiday for the 4th time this year just so i could still hang on to the teeniest tiniest of hopes that love does come a-knocking in miraculous ways.

Growing old isn't really that scary, if i say that a hundred times a day i might just convinced myself. I mean, one day you're a just a kid blasting loud music on your stereo with not a care in the world and the next you're all grown up and you worry about things like retirement funds and health care insurance and housing loans and the lot. On top of that, you are quite sure that your fats have decided to marry your waist and have hence obtained legal permanent residence through naturalisation and your hair seems to have lost its lustre and you seem to have develop a disgusting penchant for bitter melon and other greens. And you've given up loud music that sends your heart pumping for sad old bastard tunes and bright colours for safer ones. You wonder where you're going in your career, that is, if you do have one at all. One minute you feel that everything in your life is going okay, the next you're an emotional wreck and you go mental trying to figure out how life works between the two extremes. And how pathetic is it to spend most of your adult Christmases and birthdays and New Year's eves watching cheesy, blah movies all the time feeling lousy, lonely and totally alone? Maybe it isnt growing old that scares me per se, it's growing old alone, mateless.

Nevertheless, i'm grateful to friends, family and ex-boyfriend who did send their well wishes despite their busy schedules, most even made it to dinner and on time too. :) Maybe growing old really isnt that scary because you're never really alone.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are free to stay forever 27 in my books darling! Happy sweet birthday! Wel what can I say, except we have always been an oddball of sorts in our own lives. So stay as chidish as you want, as petulant as you can and as carefree as you will..because friends like us will always be around to indluge in you. Happy birthday. *hugs*

Babymicrophone

6:02 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Belated Birthday! Growing old ain't so bad! :)

2:26 am  
Blogger mindless moth said...

Babymic - Is there a room in your new abode that has my name on it? :p

Anonymous - Thank you very much, whoever you are, i'm thinking - either a heterosexual male or someone much younger than i am, or both. Don't know anyone like that though. Lol.

5:00 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Haha no room cause my new place has no room at all. BUt the sofa is allllllllllll yours darlin

babymicrophone

6:21 pm  
Blogger weetzdom tooth said...

"...shamelessly mistaken for crease lines left by my cheap cotton pillow case or crying my eyes out ..." HAHAHAAA

Go 28 lah... if not, next year this time, you will go from 27 to... 29!

And you will have to write "not fitting into my size 29 Levi's" hahaha...

Yes! Age and waist numbers are co-dependent!

2:03 am  
Blogger mindless moth said...

Weetzdom, please tell me you're kidding when you said that age and waist have a direct relationship? Omg, you're scaring the shit out of me, am hitting the gym right this second, got to work on those abs and biceps. LOL.

3:47 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home