http://www.makepovertyhistory.org A Case of Logorrhea: Mummy Dearest

Friday, March 17, 2006

Mummy Dearest

How long is it going to last this time? A week? Maybe two? Or are you going to make this one last as long as you can? I have had enough of this cold war shit, it is getting old, too old. I am 20 fucking 7 Ma, maybe it is time you get into that head of yours that i am never going to be the dutiful and obedient daughter that you want me to be. I do love you, and if there is one thing in the world i can be sure of, it'll be that you love me. So why can't we do without the fights? Why cant we be civil for once? Just for a month, 30 days, thats all i ask for.

Why you asked? Why didnt i tell you i wont be coming home? Why didnt i tell you where i was? Because you have to get used to it thats why, because one day soon i am going to leave you, and i wont be calling you every single night to tell you where i went, what i did, who i was with. And you have to learn to deal with it, you have to know that i will be fine. I promise not to get myself killed, i will try my hardest. I am not a kid anymore Ma, if you treat me like one, i will act like one. And it is scary, the thought of leaving you, the thought of heading out and making it on my own. I am so used to the sheltered life that you and pa have given me. I am not sure if i am going to make it, i am not sure that i am going to do just as good, but i have to, i want to.

I am scared out of my wits just thinking about it, but not half as excited and hungry for a life of my own. And for the last time, one doesnt have to be married to be an adult. You for one, should know that, you were barely 20 when you had your first child, and you did fine didnt you? It will take a lot of getting used to, no more home-made soup to come home to, no more you waking me up in the mornings when i oversleep, no more of your experimental pasta and sushi and no more of you nagging me, even that i am going to miss. And what are you going to do without me? Fuck, what are you going to do without me? Who will translate english movies to teochew for you? Who will tell you stories of the colourful world? Who will follow you from bathroom to kitchen, all the time telling you that it is not right to discriminate races, sexes and sexual preferences? Who will tell you that your curry is excellent and your soup is bland?

We'll survive wont we? Promise?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Middle child always stands out. Either the weirdest, the outcast, the most talented, the most neurotic, the most daft one...its always the middle. But its the middle child that is most "alive" and most prominent. You will thrive don't worry. But defintely not the mummy's child department lol

5:18 pm  
Blogger P said...

This is wonderful. When you deliver it, could you cc it to my mother as well?

1:34 pm  
Blogger mindless moth said...

Hopefully some time soon i will find the courage to do so. :) Mothers. Tsk Tsk.

10:33 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm I love the idea behind this website, very unique.
»

3:07 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home